Monday, February 25, 2019

Learning to use Procreate for Digital Illustration

One of my goals for 2019 is to learn how to create digital illustrations. I’m just getting started.

After a friend lent me an iPad and Apple Pencil, I downloaded Procreate (an app available in the App Store), watched a few free tutorials available on YouTube and started with a few simple still life illustrations. Here are some doodles I created during my first few days working with Procreate:





All shiny red objects so far.

I can’t believe that Procreate is a $10 program. It’s intuitive and the potential applications seem limitless. Bonus: I enjoy the absence of the mess I once created when working with traditional pastels and colored pencils. It’s incredible to have an entire studio’s worth of supplies accessible in electronic format.

Looks likely that I’ll keep working at this and purchase an iPad of my own.

If Procreate is your thing and you’ve got some tips for learning how to best use it, I’d love to hear from you.

No comments: