Thursday, January 23, 2020

New Dessert/Snack Recipes Tried in 2019

One of my 2019 goals is to try six new-to-me dessert or snack recipes. Mission accomplished!

1. New Orleans Bourbon Bread Pudding



We got engaged just before Christmas, traveled to California for the holiday, and celebrated NYE at home with steak, brussels sprouts, and New Orleans Bourbon Bread Pudding.

M picked bread pudding out of my all-time favorite cookbook: America's Test Kitchen's Complete Cooking for Two CookbookTruth be told, I did not have high hopes. I mean... golden raisins? But I've learned to trust the recipe and the process where America's Test Kitchen is involved.


How did it turn out? A delicious vanilla custard. Golden raisins transformed into bourbon flavor bombs. A crisp, buttery crust. Y'all, it turns out I love bread pudding.


The cookbook includes a variation using chocolate chips in place of the golden raisins that I plan to try in 2020.


2. Peanut Blossom Cookies





My grandma had a habit of making these during the holidays, but I've never found a written copy of her recipe, so I turned to America's Test Kitchen's The Perfect Cookie 2019 (this was a magazine that was sold at Costco during the first quarter of 2019, not the current hardbound cookbook).

I made a batch of peanut blossoms because we needed a treat to gift to M's dad in appreciation for his help with a project. They turned out great--loved the addition of 1/2 cup ground, salted dry-roasted peanuts to the cookie dough.



3. Chocolate Turtle Cookies





I like caramel, so I thought this cookie would be a slam dunk. It's a chocolate thumbprint cookie crusted with toasted pecans and filled with caramel. That I didn't like. I don't have the words to account for this--was it holiday fatigue? Maybe, but this recipe is not on my repeat list.

This recipe can be found in America's Test Kitchen's The Perfect Cookie 2019 (this was a magazine that was sold at Costco during the first quarter of 2019, not the current hardbound cookbook).


4. Peanut Butter Cup No Churn Ice Cream



We have been debating using an old gift card to purchase an ice cream maker for over a year, but we don't have space to store any additional small kitchen appliances. A discussion of no churn ice cream on the America's Test Kitchen Instagram account has solved our problems. Easily the best ice cream I tasted in 2019 (and I have ready access to Bluebell!).

This recipe can be found on the America's Test Kitchen app.


5. Wheat Thins w/TJ's Everything but the Bagel Seasoning



I made Smitten Kitchen's Homemade Wheat Thins numerous times this year. Easy. Tasty. A great way to use up some whole wheat flour that had been sitting in my pantry a little too long. I love the addition of Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel seasoning.

6. Confetti Cookies




They scream celebration. I look forward to resurrecting Smitten Kitchen's Confetti Cookie recipe when/if I have little kids in the house at some point in the future.

No comments: