Tuesday, June 5, 2018

New Entree Recipes (Part 2)

I'm still chipping away at my 2018 goal to try 12 new entree recipes. (I set this goal because without it the only new recipes I try are desserts!) See Part 1 (new recipes 1-4) here. Recipes 5-8 are as follows:

5. Shepard's Pie


In a continued effort to keep the boyfriend involved in what's going on in the kitchen, we made shepard's pie (his favorite) in a cast iron skillet.

The recipe can be found in Cook's Country's Cook it in Cast Iron. Cook's Country is affiliated with America's Test Kitchen, which is why I snagged this cookbook when I found it at Costco a few months ago.

The recipe calls for piping the mashed potatoes on top of the filling. Nonsense! (I doubt I'm the only one who groans and turns the page whenever a recipe calls for the use of a piping bag.) I skipped this step in favor of carefully spooning the mashed potatoes on top of the filling, patting it down with the back of a serving spoon, and then dragging the tines of a fork through the top of the surface to make a fun design that would "pop" under the broiler.

At some point in the future, I'd love to try a variation with mashed sweet potatoes.

6. Eggs in Purgatory 


Eggs in a homemade spicy tomato sauce finished with some crumbled bacon if you're feeling indulgent. While I now understand that this is a common and beloved recipe (known to some as "shakshouka"), it was a revelation to me and completely different from anything my family ate growing up. Loved it. Great excuse to crack open my very first can of Rotel--how is it possible that I have lived in Texas for more than eight years and am just now discovering Rotel?

This recipe can be found in America's Test Kitchen's Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook.

7. Spice-Rubbed Flank Steak with Spicy Corn and Black Bean Salad


Not particularly photogenic, but quick and simple. I made a double portion of this salad to use for lunches during the work week. Relatively light due to the absence of any sort of dressing in the salad.

This recipe can be found in America's Test Kitchen's Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook.

8. Sichuan Orange Chicken and Broccoli


Now that I've gone to the trouble of accumulating some of the required pantry staples (hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, toasted sesame oil, etc.), I'm having a lot of fun with the wok at home. This recipe calls for the juice of one orange and some orange zest. The fresh flavor shines through--a welcome change from the cloying orange sauce I've encountered at many takeout chains.

(Use a red bell pepper instead of green for a better presentation.)

This recipe can be found in America's Test Kitchen's Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook.

No comments: