Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Bucilla Christmas Stocking (Airplane Santa)

One of the items on my (neglected) list of personal goals for 2017 was to complete two Bucilla Christmas stocking kits. The kits are part of a family tradition dating back to my great grandmother's time. While I have a Bucilla stocking that my mom made for me when I was a toddler (it has held up all these years!), that stocking resides at our family home. I wanted to start collecting a few of my own for future use.

It seems unlikely I'll finish two stockings this year, but I'm half of the way there. I've just completed this 120-piece airplane Santastocking kit. The stocking is made of felt and decorated with embroidered, sequined and beaded felt appliques.

Here is an up close look at the stocking while it was still a work in progress:






I completed the stocking in three weeks by working through at least one line in the instructions each evening and tackling a bit more on weekends.  It was really satisfying to have a personal project that progressed quickly.



Here is the finished product:


I think my great grandma would love how it turned out!

3 comments:

KW said...

Beautiful! I love reading about your planning process too. All around well done!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely stunning. Would love to know the history of Bucilla stockings. Also wish I had any skills at all in this area and could make these-- am incredibly jealous of your abilities (and now your stocking)

Cecilia said...

agree it looks amazing. nice work!