Monday, December 12, 2016

Egg Freezing (It's Happening!): Fifth and Sixth Appointments

Happenings from the weekend related to the egg freezing cycle:

Saturday
  • Blood drawn at hospital before 8am.
  • Inject myself with Ganirelix in the car in the parking lot at the hospital.
  • Ultrasound appointment at RE's office at 9:30am to measure ovarian follicles.
  • Pick up additional Ganirelix at pharmacy since stimulation is taking a little longer than originally planned.
  • Inject myself with Gonal-F at around 7pm.
  • Inject myself with Menopur at around 7pm.
Sunday
  • Blood drawn at hospital before 8am.
  • Inject myself with Ganirelix in the car in the parking lot at the hospital.
  • Ultrasound appointment at RE's office at 9:00am to measure ovarian follicles.
  • Inject myself with a "trigger" shot. The "trigger" causes eggs to start meiosis prior to egg retrieval. This injection needed to occur at a very precise time, which fell in the middle of dinner with clients. So, I excused myself to go to the restroom and administered the injection in a stall in the ladies room. Whatever it takes!
This morning (Monday) I was back at the hospital for what will hopefully be the final blood draw of the cycle. Then, I had to call and prepay the anesthesiologist who will attend my retrieval. Next, I'm finishing some paperwork for the pharmacy, which charged me the wrong amount for my medications. Finally, I'm waiting for the RE's nurse to call and confirm that my blood work showed that the "trigger" shot was effective so that we can move forward with retrieval, which should occur tomorrow.

1 comment:

LL said...

Wow. I so appreciate you typing out this whole process. I've had a friend go through the egg retrieval process, but I did not fully appreciate what she was going through. The image of you injecting yourself mid-client dinner is equally impressive and touching to me. I hope your retrieval is successful- we're rooting for you!