Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 13: Dinner and Drinks

In celebration of an attorney who is leaving the firm for a public interest job, some of the associates planned dinner and drinks and generously invited me to join in the fun.

We went to an Uyghur restaurant--apparently the only Uyghur restaurant in Tokyo--that was really fantastic.  The last time I had Uyghur food was in Xi'an, China, and I was so pleased by the relative cleanliness of the restaurant in Tokyo and the larger variety of foods on the menu (still lamb-based, of course).  We were also pleasantly surprised by the reasonable bill.

Afterwards, we caught a cab to Shinjuku's Golden Gai.  This area is a small series of alleyways bursting with even smaller bars--most packing in six to eight patrons at a time at most.  We finally found a bar with enough empty seats to accommodate us and hiked up the steepest set of tiny stairs I've ever seen.  I used the restroom at some point in the evening and had to turn sideways to get through the door.  It was eerily quiet in Golden Gai, by comparison to American bar districts, but it was nice to be able to sit down and talk instead of spending our whole night screaming and straining to hear one another.

2 comments:

CP said...

I love all y our posts about Japan. But I would also love to see more pictures! :)

Paragon2Pieces said...

I agree! On this particular night we were being given a hard time for being foreigners--kinda felt like getting the camera out would make that dynamic even worse.