Friday, March 13, 2020

Getting Married (or Not) During a Pandemic

Two weeks ago, an opportunity to get married at a venue that we love opened up. We jumped on the opportunity and managed to plan a small (~20 person) wedding and dinner for our family members to attend. The planning was going as smoothly as could be expected:

  • we used Paperless Post invitations because there wasn't enough time to print high quality invitations (the part of me that adores fine stationary was a touch heartbroken about this)
  • we found a photographer 
  • we tried to find a harpist, but ended up with a violinist and cellist to play at the ceremony
  • we ordered a bouquet and corsage 
  • we found a restaurant near the venue to host our group (after a few restaurants closer to downtown laughed at our inquiry because they were booked to the brim due to SXSW--of course, now that SXSW has been cancelled, these restaurants have circled back to us)
  • my family found flights and hotels located outside of downtown and closer to the venue (his family lives in town or within driving distance)
  • he updated his dress uniform to reflect his current rank
  • I found a great pair of shoes and a mediocre dress (a three-week planning period wasn't enough to order a real wedding dress)
And then SXSW was cancelled, the work conference in California that I should have been at this very moment was cancelled, and the US reaction to COVID-19 escalated.

None of our vendors have cancelled on us, as of yesterday, some family members began notifying me that they'd cancelled their travel plans and wouldn't attend. Ironically, the guests at highest risk (late 80s and 90s) appear to be the least concerned.

It seems like everything could change in an instant. I'm not confident that the wedding will actually happen.

2 comments:

AB said...

I am getting married next month and I so feel for you. I am giving it a week to see how the measures taken here (in Canada) seem to b going but you don’t have that time. My fiancé keeps reminding me that the outcome will be the same no matter how (or when in case or postponement) happens but i know how difficult this position must feel.

KW said...

This must be so challenging. I'm sorry it's so hard. Hope you find a good path forward!