Thursday, November 7, 2013

Time Off

Guess who is flying back to California tomorrow for a much needed two-week break and a flurry of doctors appointments?  I'm so excited to speak English to strangers, be in the sunshine, and see my family and my dogs in no particular order.  As you know, I am in serious need of a mental break from the firm.  I'm a bit sad because this will be my first visit home without seeing Ben, but there is not point in arranging to see him based on how he's acted recently.

I wanted to take more time given that I have six weeks of leave accrued and didn't earn vacation time last month because I have reached the firm's maximum accrual threshold.  Unfortunately, I had to cut my plans a week short to accommodate a coworker's paternity leave.  Here's hoping I'm accumulating good karma for my own maternity leave one day because the dude didn't even say thank you!

This is one of those moments when I'm so glad I went to New Zealand after the bar exam and before starting work.  At the time firms were calling up grads and rescinding offers, so I remember worrying that I shouldn't take a spendy international trip.  I'm so glad I took the time while I had it and often wish I had tacked on some time in Australia too.

While I hope I can make it to Australia (and Europe!) in the future, I can think of no better destination for this trip than California.  Further adventure is not in order at the moment.

P.S.  Please remind me to do a better job accumulating airline miles.  This plane ticket was USD 1,500!

2 comments:

nrlrose7 said...

Enjoy! You deserve it.

Unknown said...

I hope you have a blast! I can't believe they didn't say thank you! I've started focusing on rewards points just this week. Flights keep getting more and more expensive. Geez.