Monday, May 13, 2019

Hoarding PTO

My current employer, a government agency, does not offer paid parental leave. So, just in case, I'm hoarding as much PTO as I can to try to minimize the financial impact of any parental leave (should I be lucky enough to find myself in the position to take parental leave). Incredibly frustrating since one of my objectives in leaving the firm was to be in a position to take an annual vacation.

How much PTO do I need to accumulate? The agency allows employees to take up to 12 weeks off for parental leave. That's 480 PTO hours needed to avoid unpaid leave.

How many hours can I accrue in one year assuming I take no PTO?
  • 96 hours of vacation time, accrued at a rate of 8 hours per month
  • 96 hours of sick time, accrued at a rate of 8 hours per month
  • Up to 190 hours of comp time, accrued at a rate of 1 hour per 1 hour of overtime worked
How many hours can be carried over from one year to the next?
  • 180 hours of vacation time can be carried over from one year to the next (vacation in excess of cap not used converts to sick time)
  • No limit on the number of hours of sick time that can be carried over from one year to the next
  • No comp time can be carrier forward from one year to the next
Given these policies, my strategy is to avoid using vacation or sick time, and use comp time only when its expiration is imminent. So far this has worked for me. To date, I have saved the following hours:
  • 88 hours of vacation time
  • 88 hours of sick time
  • 120 hours of comp time
This means that although I haven't hit one full year of service, I've met my goal of banking 240 PTO hours.

1 comment:

nrlrose7 said...

Hi - I am in the final stages of interviewing with a federal agency after about 9 years at law firms. While it is not a done deal, issues with PTO & parental leave make me nervous. While I work at the whims of partners now, i do have flexibility to go to appointments and 14 weeks maternity leave. Do you mind sharing more info? How much PTO & sick leave did you start with?