Friday, January 4, 2019

New Entree Recipes (Part 3)

In December, I finished my 2018 goal to try 12 new entree recipes. (I set this goal because without it the only new recipes I try are desserts!) See Part 1 (new recipes 1-4) here. See Part 2 (new recipes 5-8) here. Recipes 9-12 are as follows:

9. Skillet Pizza


I've tried making pizza from scratch at home countless times, but have always been disappointed by a soggy crust.

America's Test Kitchen came to my rescue with this recipe for Skillet Pizza. The secret is coating your small skillet with two tablespoons of olive oil (before adding the dough) and then heating the skillet on the range before popping it in the oven. While heating on the range, the oil will fry the bottom of the dough, creating a crispy crust. Success!

This recipe can be found in America's Test Kitchen's Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook.

10. Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs


I don't like to fry at home because of the mess it makes, but this recipe for honey garlic chicken thighs was too appetizing to pass up. Better than takeout!

This recipe can be found on Dessert for Two's blog (despite the name, she posts savory recipes).

11. Mushroom-Miso Soup with Shrimp and Udon


This recipe calls for shiitake mushrooms, which HEB doesn't stock, but I was able to track down all of the other ingredients here in Central Texas. The finished product was a huge hit in our household and reminded me of the time I spent living in Tokyo.

This recipe can be found in America's Test Kitchen's Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook.

12. Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo


This was my first attempt at gumbo and, although this was tasty (even better as leftovers), I did not hit it out of the park. The roux may have been overcooked.

This recipe can be found in America's Test Kitchen's Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook.


Looking forward to 2019, I'll continue to try a new recipe at least once a month. The process has pushed me towards previously unexplored corners of my grocery store (i.e., new ingredients) and introduced me to new favorites (e.g., I make make a skillet pizza for Friday dinner at least once a month). I've also been able to pick up some new cooking techniques along the way.

No comments: